2020 EurekAlert! PIO Seminar Registration
Friday, February 14, 2020
11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Washington State Convention Center
705 Pike St, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
2020 EurekAlert! PIO Seminar
Preprints: New Questions, Pressures, and Opportunities for the PIO
The rise of online preprint servers for scientific and medical research has offered scientists a convenient avenue for receiving immediate feedback from their peers. The availability of pre-peer-reviewed data in the public domain also offers opportunities for experienced journalists to mine for scoops while raising questions for scientists and public information officers (PIOs) on whether and how to communicate preliminary findings responsibly.
You must have a EurekAlert! PIO account to participate in this event. Apply for a free account here. You will be asked to provide your PIO username during ticket purchase.
Join an international panel of PIOs as they share perspectives and strategies around preprints, and how PIOs can respond to this emerging practice, including:
- What benefits can be gained from communicating science at the preprint stage? Is it different by discipline?
- What role does the embargo play as preprints become more widespread?
- How does coverage at the preprint stage influence coverage of final peer-reviewed results?
- If preprint results promoted to journalists are later found to be different from peer-reviewed results, what are best practices for correcting public understanding?
- How can PIOs best advise authors who seek to promote their work at the preprint stage?
Bethany Baker | @PLOS
Senior Media Relations Manager, PLOS
Karl Bates | @DukeResearch
Director of Research Communications, Duke University
Linda Glaser | @LindaGlaser1
News & Media Relations Manager, College of Arts & Sciences, Cornell University
Press Officer, EMBL
Deputy Director, Editorial Operations, EurekAlert!
Meagan Phelan | @MeaganPhelan
Executive Director, Science Press Package, AAAS (Moderator)
All times are listed in US Pacific Time
10:30a - 11:00a Check-in and on-site registration
11:00a - 12:00p Panel Discussion
12:00p - 12:30p Q&A
How to participate
Purchase a ticket at the top of this page. You may choose to attend in-person in Seattle or participate via live webcast. If you'd like to purchase post-event access to the webcast recording, choose the webcast option.
The EurekAlert! PIO Seminar is part of the 2020 AAAS Annual Meeting Newsroom program, located in Seattle, WA. To attend in person, you must first apply for an Annual Meeting Newsroom registration. Newsroom registration is free to eligible PIOs and includes exclusive access to press briefings and networking events. All in-person attendees also gain free access to recorded webcast video after the event (a EurekAlert! PIO registration is required to access the video).
Join us live via webcast and submit your questions online. A free EurekAlert! PIO account is required. Don't have a EurekAlert! PIO account? Register here.
Visit www.eurekalert.org/seminar on February 14 for instructions on how to test your operating system for the live webcast, and to watch the event.
You must register for the Seminar and login as a EurekAlert! PIO-registrant to watch the webcast. Don’t have a EurekAlert! PIO account? Register now.
Recorded webcast access:
All PIO Seminar attendees will receive exclusive access to the full seminar video for six months following the live event, after which it will become freely available in support of EurekAlert!'s public service mission. Choose the live webcast option when purchasing a ticket if you'd like to gain access to recorded webcast after the event.
- Registration can be transferred to another person upon request.
- Cancellations received on or before 5:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time 25 January will receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received after 5:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time on 25 January are not refundable.
- Only paid registrants will receive access to live webcast video for the first six months after the event.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Select a ticket and proceed to registration details